Thursday, March 13, 2008

self discovery

This blogging is all new to me .I feel in a strange land as if someone or something is going to jump out at me from the screen and pull me into another world.
I am supposed to be studying but instead I am procrastinating about life ,the universe and everything.I participate in a journalling group for women where we meet and write about many topics.The process draws out creative ideas,emotions and opinions and is a wonderful way to develop the inner self. Journalling uses photos,cutouts and crafty bits to embellish the writing.I use an A4 spirax blank artbook but anything will do.Stephen King in his book 'On Writing' wrote that

"Writing is magic,as much the water of life as any other creative art.The water
is free.So drink up"

This is so true but often others belittle our need to write and see it as a useless activity.It has immense value and is a very worthwhile. I collect all sorts of wonderful quotes,pictures ,newspaper articles and photos to which I write my responses.The process is very mosaic in nature as I never know where it will lead or what the end result will be like.I have a large folder I put all my writing prompts into and pull out what interests me at the time.I also keep a box of words cut from magazines that inspire me and help decorate my pages.I have a large box of coloured papers, ribbons,stickers,punches,stamps and much more to help me along the creative path.I would like to share ideas and processes with others.Tell me your experiences with journalling and we can build on that.

6 comments:

Mara said...

I do like this Stephen King quote


"Writing is magic,as much the water of life as any other creative art.The water is free.So drink up"

Thanks !

btw are you familiar with Julia Cameron's books - The Artists Way and The Right to Write ?

Write on , Thora , happy blogging.


x

Unknown said...

Thora,
Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I'm always amazed at the people who find me in cyberspace and where they come from.

Blogging is a strange phenomenon, but I appreciate the chance to connect with and speak to so many who I would have not otherwise met in my corner of the world.

I look forward to reading more of your posts as I see you are a thoughtful soul. (You make me think of my blogging friend Jo at
www.followtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/ - you might enjoy her posts as well.)

Good luck and blessings in your writing and crafting endeavors.

Michelle

Thora said...

All good fun connecting with others and learning on the way.Thanks for the link to Jo.

Laura Jane said...

Blogging is a form of journalling, although it is probably appropriate for it to be more censored, if it is in the public domain (i.e. not a protected/passworded site).

I too journal , not steadily but passionately when I do it. It has been a tool to having a life, at many times when I felt I had no right to spend time on myself. It is a tool of self-knowledge and is invaluable.

I have recently (3 years) been journalling in a big A3 blank art book, where I can use colour and collaging, and papers - noit in a scrapbooking way, but a serendipitous way to form a conversation with myself. I have found many answers.

Thanks for your comment on my site "Loving the Question". The title came from a journal exercise!

Nice to have you visit, please come again.

Thora said...

Lovely to hear from you.
It feels good to hear about others journal ideas.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Welcome to blogland!!!
You are going to have lots of fun here and new friends, too.
Real friends in cyberspace!