Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Nothing

I have a fascination with children's books .They also comment about our lives and our need to be playful.I have always liked the character of Pooh Bear in AA.Milne books.

Christopher Robin says 'but what I like doing best is nothing"
Pooh goes on to ask how you do this so Christopher explains.......
"It means just going along,listening to all the things you can't hear and not bothering"
Think about what this is truly saying.There is so much for us to see and hear.To me it is talking about going with the flow of life too and enjoying the present.
People are often so busy that they do not see and hear the deeper things that satisfy and nourish us.
We need to sharpen our observation skills.I was on the train the other day and watched what people did with their train tickets.So many variations-one person even cleaned their fingernails with the corner! I recommend the book Juicy writing by Brigid Lowry published by Allen and Unwin.It is a book written to inspire young writers 13-18 but in my opinion is great for all of us above that age bracket.It affirmed me about my need to write,the value and has many creative exercises to try.I am off to do nothing.Nothing is good.

9 comments:

Michelle Gregory said...

Thora,
I agree. Nothing is good. I'd planned to do a lot this week, but prayed I wouldn't over-do. An unexpected stomach virus kept me from doing much. That's ok. I needed to do nothing instead of lots of little somethings.

I looked up "Juicy Writing." I'm sad that my library doesn't have it, and neither does US Amazon. I *did* get to read a few pages of it on the publishers' website (and I see it was published in Australia). It looks delightful. Maybe you could lend me your copy when you're finished with it.

Michelle

Thora said...

I do not have a copy as I borrowed it from the library (ah yes one of my favourite places.When the librarians see me coming they lean straight over to the book reservations to get my stash or brace themselves for the pile on the desk.)Oh it was only published this year 2008 so very new so wait a while and you may be in luck with Amazon.It is a great resource .Pity postage of purchased books is so much to send overseas.I often suggest books for my library to buy.Publishers will send books at a cost.
I have got on to a great site
http://www.betterworld.com
where you can buy new and second hand books postage free in America.I get charged $3.00 to Australia for shipping.The sale of books helps literacy in African countries.Check it out.Hope you are on the road to revovery-Pooh Bear would go for the honey as medicine I am sure.

L.L. Barkat said...

Ohhhhhh... I love the Pooh books. Such wisdom in words meant for children. They speak deeply to my big-person heart.

And these words today about doing nothing, I find myself thinking... and how would I do nothing? Your moment on the train did inspire though.

Michelle Gregory said...

I ended up buying it from the publisher's site.

Thora said...

Michelle. You will love the book and good for your children as well.Bookshelves in the roof maybe to stock the latest treasures.
l.l.Barkat-keep that big person heart grounded in child like thinking.Just watch children play -they know what to do.
Have a happy day everyone.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

OMG!!!
I love those same books too!
aren't they lovely and philosophical?
this is my favorite quote:

"Friendship" said Pooh, is a very comforting, sort of thing."
"We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?" asked Piglet.
"Even longer,"
Pooh answered.

Thora said...

Another goodie mermaid-keep them coming.
So much that helps us in life.

Victoria (Vii) said...

I get caught up in "nothingness" often! Thanks for the book suggestion, I am going to begin my search for it!

Jo said...

Oh I'm sorry to see its been so long since I've ventured over here! Your words have calmed my restlessness tonight... thank you, dear friend!