Friday, May 16, 2008

Prayer is the glue



I wanted to share these beautiful images with you.Recently I came home with my mother's wedding dress that had been stored at the family farm and in the box were these two prints.Now they would have to be over 50 years old .I do not know the significance of them to my mother.I cannot ask her.I will have to ask dad if he knows.The little boy is labelled Evening prayer and the little girl Morning prayer.They are a good reminder to pray and keep God as our focus.I have since aired the dress and repacked it .I had to throw away the cardboard box as the mothball smell had permeated the whole thing.The dress still smells but at this point I do not want to dry clean or wash it.I repacked it with lavender ,cloves and some mild smelling soap.As I write this I can see the wedding photo above the computer on the shelf.
Memories are so important and I am keen to get mine down.There is so much I did not get to ask my mother and at times that makes me sad.I do know however that I was loved and cherished and she modelled a gentleness that I wish I had.I have it sometimes.She never raised her voice to me ever.
My daughter turns 21 soon and I am going to get a photo done of 3 generations to remind her of the strength of women and of the generations.I treasure the memory of my great grandmother and my mum's mother,my nana.In fact my blog name "Thora" is my nana's name as I was inspired by her creativity and wisdom. I am honouring her by using her name which is part of what is infused in me.We have our stories and our love that can cross time and place.Mum showed us how much she loved God and it was a privilege to know her and be by her side holding her hand as she was welcomed into heaven.If this was paper you would see the tear stains as I write.I felt tender this mother's day even though it has been 3 years.We talked everyday and to this day dad can never work out how we could talk for so long.Well must go ,the day beckons.I just wanted to say that it is important to learn from others especially our parents so we can hand on the wisdom and stories.When mum died I felt she handed over that mantle of responsibility to love, to care and to keep close to God as she had especially in prayer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! :) Thanks for sharing that with us. When I feel alone, I just paint and it's like praying to me. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post!

Thora said...

Yes and all other art forms are like prayers-I feel that way about my collage and writing.

Michelle Gregory said...

Thora,
Yes it is the glue. How silly of me to say "All I can do is pray" when that's always the first and best thing I can do.

BTW,you might be interested in this. Writer Interrupted is hosting its 20th Carnival of Christian Writers. It's a fun way for writers to find each other and hear what we each have to say about writing. You can find more details here: http://ginaconroy.com/groupblog/wordpress/?p=928.

Blessings,
Michelle

Vicki said...

These images are just beautiful - thanks for sharing them. Your post reminds me how important it is to preserve memories. My parents died a few years ago, and there's so much I wish I had asked both of them. I related to much of what you shared here....thanks for a wonderful post.

blessings,
Vicki

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

First:
A very big huge hug to you!
I am sending a little prayer in your way and to heaven for your mom, for you both.
I love to pray, meditate and talk to myself. I love memories and read about them or listen specially when there is a gathering.
bless your heart dear!
and those tears are for good, yes?

Kat Mortensen said...

Wow. Even though it has been 3 years you obviously had such a strong bond that most of us envy. It's nice to feel that your mother is a friend, not just a mom.
You might like the film, Spanish film "Volver" with Penelope Cruz. It is about the bonds between Mothers and daughters. (There are some things that may offend - although I can say that I'm a practicing Catholic and I found the charm and beautiful message of the film far outweighed them.)
I love the prints - your mother must have been a lovely woman.

Kat

Thora said...

I will check the film out Kat.
Just about to start 2 new part time jobs so will have to slot some time in for the film.
My mum was an only child so did not have extended family so I think this made us closer.
Vicki we can ask our questions one day but not yet.
Carmen thanks for your hug and prayers and don't worry I love tears.
What sort of frames do you think I need to get for the prints Any suggestions out therewood ,metal?

Kat Mortensen said...

Just my opinion, but I would suggest wood with a gilt paint.

Kat